Sunday, May 1, 2022


Where would we quilters be without snap lock baggies?  

Printed a few copies of the blank quilt layout.  This one shows the blocks that have been printed.  There's also one for templates and another for completed blocks.  This is a quicker way of keeping track of where everything is at than having to turn on the computer every time I want to check where I'm at.  

Dug out this square set.  The largest is five inches, which is the block size without seams.  Some of the other squares may come in handy, too.

The Frixon pens are going back into the stash.  They'd be great if I finger press, but I don't.  I've lost count of the number of times I've used them, pressed with the iron and the lines disappear.  You'd think I would remember.  lol


I love this print.  If I had enough, I'd use it for the whole background.  I'll sprinkle it through as much as possible, instead.


I don't enjoy stitching reverse applique, so I decided to use junk mail templates instead.  They looked a bit big. 


They were.  I'd used the DOTTED seam allowance as the template cutting line.


After swapping out the buttons for a different fabric  for a better color combo, messing with the positioning of the buttons and swapping out the background fabric, I decided I really don't like the block.  


Fiddle faddled around with fussy cutting new hexies. Then shredded them while removing the cardstock.  The fabric was stuck down like I'd used super glue instead of an Elmer's glue stick.

This isn't my first glue stick rodeo.  I always glue baste pieces this small (1/2 inch).  It was a new glue stick, so tried it on a different fabric.  That one detached easily.  Tried it again.  This time slathering it with glue.  Nope, nope, nope.  Popped off dead easy.  It was the super shreddy fabric not the glue.  

I was ready to leave it until the next day as it was getting late.  Then BEB appeared, sporting a colorful cape and wearing her underwear on the outside, shouting "this is a job for Superquilter!"  and something about being able to leap fat quarter bundles in a single bound.

She messed with it for a while, until I said it was beyond help. She even tried melting the glue on a low iron setting and thread basting.  


She popped onto Jamie Wallen's YouTube channel while starting again with different fabric.  Seems watching him quilting was too much of a distraction.  The result is in the pic.  Oops!

She didn't make an appearance in the morning.  After sleeping on it, I thought a tiny appliqué would not look right.  So, started again with different templates.  


Ready to thread baste.  This is the first time using mylar templates and using a lozenge shape.

I tried making a shape similar to  snowball, but the folds were turned the wrong way.  I'll get more practice in a future quilt.


Pinned it out on the light box and marked out it to make it easier to line up.  After a bit of trial and error, it was pinned....to the back!


A bit more adjusting and it was done!  I'm happy.  One down, 168 to go!  lol

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear! - Pinned to the back! That's something I would have done - LOL. Your block looks good - and only 168 more to go!

    Side note - I always thought the lettering/numbering of the Dear Jane blocks was a bit odd. I'm used to the spreadsheet layout - letters across the top and numbers down the side. So BOB thinks that the second block in the first column should be A2 - not B1 - LOL - ;))

    ReplyDelete

Progress on Pint Size by Kim Diehl from the book Simple Whatnots III.   The quilt ruler and rotary cutter combo that I'd been using sinc...