Saturday, February 6, 2021

Groundhog Day.....Kinda



Last Sunday was mostly spent studying and occasionally  looking out at the window watching the sleet/freezing/rain/snow coming down, so my forecast was only partly accurate.  The appliqué pieces for Daisies For Love were prepared and that was it!   It was fun playing with all the little pieces laying them out later on in the week.

Purple is my favorite color and there was just enough fabric to squeak out the daisy petals and binding.  It was a bit hairy for a while, as all that was left was a few strips.  Nothing as wide as the daisy petals.  They're in one piece on the pattern.  I cut them up and put them back together again, as none of that will be seen under the flower center.

Seems I don't seem to be able to do anything "big" without going round my hand to get to my thumb.  The exam I sat on Wednesday was for a different sterile processing certification than the one I did the course for last year.  I'd been studying like crazy for the certification exam since the course finished in December, The two courses have very different.  I'm really happy that I passed and I'll be (officially) certified when the paperwork goes through! ☺  



The 1/2 inch hexie box was pretty full, so. I've been glue basting them on and off since Tuesday night.  They were glue basted to use up a partial glue stick which was close to drying out.  I don't have a preference for how I baste.  I'm just as happy glue, starch or thread basting.  It depends on what's on hand.    

There's no particular project in mind.  It's just fun cutting, basting and sewing flowers.


There's not much left to do on this. Pondering ideas on how to finish it.  I have a couple of ideas that need to be sketched out to see how they look.


Dug out this partial pattern and the colored pencils.  I've been looking at it to see where to go next with it.  It's been so long I can't remember where I was up to! lol It's not an original idea.  I saw a partial quilt on Pinterest about 10 years ago.  It took a while to go through the repins to find the original.  I sent a message to the quilter, asking if it was her design or a pattern.  Turned out that she had seen a pic of it and made her own from there.

There's two copies of this pattern.  One with the word photocopy on it.  It took me a while to figure out that was a working copy of the original  not that the other has errors in it!  I'm blaming a fried brain on not noticing one was on graph paper and the other was on photocopy paper. 


I'll need more than what's in this modest pile to make it!  lol.  The ruler covers project has run out of steam, so those squares will be run through the die cutter to add to this pile.  It had begun to feel like a chore.  When the mood strikes, I'll make the covers out of yardage, as it's not a project I want to spend a lot of time on.


The first block of The Civil War Love Letter quilt was made.  The sashing is going to be left off and it will be a lap quilt.  

This block was foundation pieced on photocopy paper and it quickly reminded me that the paper is too thick for my liking, so I'm switching to graph paper.


Made some progress on the nine patches for Hugs and Kisses at the same time, so I don't lose momentum.  Which made me think that's the way to go with the long term WIPs.  


Picking out fabric and printing the pattern is the only progress on Judy's Flower Patch from the book Scrap Quilts by Judy Martin.  Keeping my fingers crossed there's some dark green fossil fern fabric in the stash for the stem and leaves.  Not sure what color the background will be.  I'm just going to make one flower. 
 
It will be a hand pieced cover for a smallish pillow that's been sitting in the cupboard since The Goddess was a girl!  I'm out of practice and it's just the right size to get me warmed up for hand piecing Dear Jane.

Today kinda feels like last Saturday.  There's another storm front coming through tonight and the same amount of snow is in the weather forecast.  I've been rummaging through Chook Shed and cross stitch patterns again looking for  snow day projects.  I'm at the same place I started last Saturday with the sock, as I had to tink what I had knit.  That's what I get for not checking my notes!  It's ALMOST Groundhog Day because if it does snow tomorrow, I'll be spending the day looking out the window and playing with a variety of projects and NOT studying! 😁





1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting certified!! I LOVE all of your projects - and am looking forward to seeing more of them - ;))

    ReplyDelete

Progress on Pint Size by Kim Diehl from the book Simple Whatnots III.   The quilt ruler and rotary cutter combo that I'd been using sinc...