Sunday, December 13, 2020

 


Chatting with a friend a couple of nights ago about scrap quilts reminded me of this book.  It was published in 1985 and it's written in a very different style than they are now.  It's much more succinct, which I like.


This little cutie caught my eye.  The background will be all one color and there WILL be a border.  I only use borders if they add something to a quilt and don't look stuck on just to make it larger.  I like the way this one frames the flowers, but it may end up a little narrower.


After a bit of a rummage in the stash, I came up with this combo.  The red is a bit darker and the green is a bit lighter.  They're both fossil fern.


The background color is more like a light, creamy coffee color than how it looks in either pic.  Neutrals, along with fossil fern are my favorite fabrics. 


This ornament has been restuffed.  It looks "right" now.  The pattern is Snow Birds by Country Cottage Needleworks.  It was stitched on 14 count aida that I dyed.  


This is where I stitched up the gap.  It's in ladder stitch, which takes longer and is more fiddly than whip stitch, but lies flatter.  


This one looks better, too. 

Last night I watched a modern version of A Christmas Carol.  It wasn't bad....good enough to not notice I didn't swap the knitting needles to a larger size on the body.  I eventually noticed after nearly 600 stitches that the fabric was stiff.   Looks like some tinking is in my immediate future!


It was much more fun to start the center of my first crochet flower that's not for practice than fix a knitting project.

1 comment:

  1. I have that book! And I agree - I don't like borders that look like you just added it to make the quilt larger - they're boring. You're right - ladder stitch is the only way to go when you stitch up a seam like that - it lies flatter and is virtually invisible. I like your little pillows - they're so cute! Your flower center looks promising - what pattern are you making? - ;))

    ReplyDelete

Progress on Pint Size by Kim Diehl from the book Simple Whatnots III.   The quilt ruler and rotary cutter combo that I'd been using sinc...